Bill,

Take a look at the attached app.
It opens 2 native OS windows, each containing 4 types of Pivot Windows (none of which contain any focusable Components).
It uses a simple mechanism to forward unhandled keyboard events to the active Pivot Window (if there is one)

Hopefully it demonstrates that you can target active Dialogs, Alerts & Frames without too much hassle.
I can see the value of building this kind of logic into Pivot's event handling, though.  Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

1. Send the event to the focused Component if there is one
2. If not, send to the active Window if there is one    <-- new step
3. If not, send to the UnprocessedKeyHandler if there is one

You might well be able to achieve something similar with a WindowClassListener too.
See org.apache.pivot.wtk.Window.getWindowClassListeners()

Chris