Eugene,

Are you aware of the MenuButton component? It sounds similar to what you describe.
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/MenuButton.html
http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/menu-buttons.html
http://pivot.apache.org/demos/component-explorer.html (See the Menus section)

You might want to automatically open & close the MenuButton when the mouse is over it if you wish to reduce the number of clicks involved in showing or hiding a column.

If you like the idea of the mouseover menu, you could also consider just rolling your own using Window or MenuPopup.
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/MenuPopup.html

Similar questions about hiding & showing table columns have been asked in the past, and the suggested solutions tend to be something like this...

Add a MenuHandler to the TableView or TableViewHeader which will construct a context menu with menu items representing all of the columns from the table.
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/MenuHandler.html
http://pivot.apache.org/2.0/docs/api/org/apache/pivot/wtk/Component.html#setMenuHandler(org.apache.pivot.wtk.MenuHandler)
http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/context-menus.html

The context menu might have a 'Show All' menu item, and either menu items with checkboxes for the columns, or possibly 'Show' and 'Hide' sub menus containing the correct columns based on the current state of the TableView.

TableViews do not support hiding columns, so when you want to hide then, you will need to remove them from the TableView.ColumnSequence which is available via TableView#getColumns(). You will probably need to record the original column order so that you can put them back into the ColumnSequence in the correct position.

Chris