pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: The patchwork that is Pivot layout
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:27:55 GMT
> At the moment, the "fill" style of BoxPane is doing double duty.
> It means two things for a vertical boxpane
> (1) make the component fill the available width if the component is smaller than the
boxpane width
> (2) if the components preferred width is greater than the available width, cut off the
component.

Actually, in #2 the component isn't simply clipped to the box pane's width - it is given its
constrained preferred height. This gives the component a chance to wrap its content, which
wouldn't be possible without the fill style (we need a width to constrain against).

> Border could do with having alignment and fill styles, which is a fairly straightforward
change and would make this
> class more useful.

It could, but I'm not sure how much value that might really offer. How often do you want to
put something in a border that doesn't completely fill the internal space of the border? Probably
not that often, and when you do, you can use BoxPane, TablePane, ScrollPane, etc.