pivot-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KeyListeners on ImageView
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:31:57 GMT
CCed to the Dev mailing list where it is perhaps best to continue the
discussion
(Some context for the Dev list
http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/KeyListeners-on-ImageView-tp2600622p2600622.html
)

On 4 March 2011 11:35, Bill van Melle <bill.van.melle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I shouldn't have to stand on my head creating a focusable subclass of
> WindowSkin. (Admittedly, Chris has shown that it's easy to do, but it seems
> wrong to make everyone do it.)

I wonder if there is a case to be made for adding a setFocusable(boolean)
method to Component which could be used easily to change focusability? Each
Component would maintain its current default focusability, but this could be
toggled with a simple call to pivotComponent.setFocusable(true/false) rather
than the need for sub-classing..

Changing a normally focusable Component to be non-focusable should not cause
any problems, but changing a normally non-focusable Component/Container to
be focusable would probably mean that there is no graphical indicator that
the Component has focus. If a user really needed this they could still
create a custom skin which would paint the indicator (or add a conditional
Decorator).

They could also supply a FocusTraversalPolicy to Containers to meet their
individual needs.

Chris