pivot-user mailing list archives

From Bill van Melle <bill.van.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KeyListeners on ImageView
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 04:35:56 GMT
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Chris Bartlett <cbartlett.x@gmail.com>wrote:

> It is also possible to add ComponentKeyListeners to a Display object.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/wtk-terra/src/org/apache/pivot/wtk/skin/terra/TerraTooltipSkin.java

I'm afraid this has the same problem as adding a listener to the Window
object -- it doesn't work unless some descendant has obtained focus.

> Have a look at the StockTracker example which demonstrates using
> ActionMappings to bind KeyStrokes to Actions for a Window.
> http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/stock-tracker.html
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/tutorials/src/org/apache/pivot/tutorials/stocktracker/

Amazingly enough, this too has the same problem!

So, folks, I assert there's something wrong here.  I should be able to put
some kind of event listener on a top-level window to process keystrokes
without depending on Pivot's own internal notion of "focus" -- top-level
windows have focus defined by the OS! I shouldn't have to stand on my head
creating a focusable subclass of WindowSkin. (Admittedly, Chris has shown
that it's easy to do, but it seems wrong to make everyone do it.)