pivot-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MDI Kind of implementation simulating JDesktopPane
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:26:22 GMT
On 22 March 2011 19:55, Greg Brown <gk_brown@verizon.net> wrote:

> 2. How can i create a generic container kind of environment that can hold
>> all the Frames that i can add at runtime and manage the window
>> events,especially considering that in general the containers in Pivot is not
>> designed to add Windows.
>>
> You would still just open Frames as normal, but would specify that your
> 'main display' Window is the parent, rather than the Display.
>

> Note that the "main display" should be the frame's *owner*, not parent. The
> Display is always a window's parent. However, it's owner always remains
> below it in the z-order.
>
> Oops.  That is what I meant, good catch.

> Now that I think about it, one challenge with this solution is that
> maximized windows should not overlap the task bar. The easiest way to do
> this would be to provide a custom display skin that is aware of the presence
> of the task bar window. It is not currently possible to replace the display
> skin, though at the moment I can't remember the reason for that - it seems
> like it should be possible.

I quickly prototyped a custom Frame skin that handled the maximized resizing
because Display was final, and wondered if Display does really need to be
final.

Applying a general caveat to Pivot classes whereby if a user extends them,
they are responsible for the changes seems fair to me.  Users might be free
to extend Display but would be reminded that the class has not necessarily
been designed *for* extension, and therefore there are no guarantees.

Chris