pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: MDI Kind of implementation simulating JDesktopPane
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:23:51 GMT
You can't add a Window to another container. However, when you call open() on a window, it
is internally added to the display. You could create a "special" window representing the task
bar that listens for add and remove events on the display so you know when windows are opened
or closed. You'll also probably want to listen for size changes on the display so you can
reposition the task bar. This is similar to how the task bar was implemented in earlier versions
of Windows (not sure how it works now though).

Finally, you'll probably want some way to determine which windows should appear in the task
bar (e.g. top-level frames, but not menu popups or tooltips). For example, in my prototype
I decided that only root windows (those that have no owner) would appear in the task bar.

Hope this helps,

On Mar 14, 2011, at 3:22 AM, Pavan Vadavalli wrote:

> Hi
>
> Trying to accomplish the below
>
> Have enabled the minimize button from FramTerraSkin
> Tried to create Mainwindow by adding Table with one Column and fundamentally two rows,
> Added a Panel to the Row and tried to add a Frame to this Panel
> This is throwing below Error
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Window parent must be null or display, cannot be
org.apache.pivot.wtk.TablePane
>     at org.apache.pivot.wtk.Window.setParent(Window.java:460)
>     at org.apache.pivot.wtk.Container.insert(Container.java:151)
>     at org.apache.pivot.wtk.Container.add(Container.java:131)
>     at org.apache.pivot.wtk.TablePane$RowSequence.insert(TablePane.java:469)
>     at org.apache.pivot.wtk.TablePane$RowSequence.add(TablePane.java:448)
>
> I guess Since Frame is itslef a Window this is no supported.
>
> Basically i want to add multiple Frames to the main Window and at the Bottom Task Bar
to manage the Navigation of these windows ( Minmize, maximize)

> Can you help me out what is going wrong here.
> Attached is the BXML
>

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Greg Brown <gk_brown@verizon.net> wrote:
> That's correct - I actually started prototyping something like this a while back, but
I never finished it.

> On Mar 9, 2011, at 6:33 AM, Chris Bartlett wrote:
>
>> Pavan,
>>
>> See this thread
>> http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/Minimized-Frames-td2117206.html
>>
>> Currently, if you minimize a Pivot Frame it will disappear from the Display, much
as it would if you called myFrame.setVisible(false).

>> If you want to show the minimized frames somewhere you will have to do that yourself.

>> For instance to emulate the MS Windows Taskbar you could maybe have a FlowPane or
TablePane at the bottom of the Display, and populate it with instances of a custom Component
that renderers part of the Frame's title.

>> If I have some time later today I will try to knock up a quick example and post here.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On 9 March 2011 15:55, Pavan Vadavalli <pavan.vadavalli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for help related to create a MDI related Application using Pivot.
>>
>> I wasnt able to figure about a container  like  JDesktopPane that manages the Forms
or Frames that can be added and can be iconified and closed.