pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: KeyListeners on ImageView
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 12:44:04 GMT
I had a similar thought. Unfortunately, making a Window focusable will break apps that currently
call window.requestFocus() to focus the content component. Those apps would have to change
to call window.getContent().requestFocus(). That's not out of the question, but seems wrong
- container focusability was added primarily to support composite components like Spinner
rather than layout or navigation components, or windows.

I'd be surprised if this is actually a common issue in practice, though. In most applications,
some component generally has the focus, so key strokes will be propagated to the window. What
is the use case for sending key strokes to a window when nothing is focused? How would we
know which window to send them to?

On Mar 4, 2011, at 4:31 AM, Chris Bartlett wrote:

> CCed to the Dev mailing list where it is perhaps best to continue the discussion
> (Some context for the Dev list
> http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/KeyListeners-on-ImageView-tp2600622p2600622.html)
>
> On 4 March 2011 11:35, Bill van Melle <bill.van.melle@gmail.com> wrote:
> I shouldn't have to stand on my head creating a focusable subclass of WindowSkin. (Admittedly,
Chris has shown that it's easy to do, but it seems wrong to make everyone do it.)

> I wonder if there is a case to be made for adding a setFocusable(boolean) method to Component
which could be used easily to change focusability? Each Component would maintain its current
default focusability, but this could be toggled with a simple call to pivotComponent.setFocusable(true/false)
rather than the need for sub-classing..

> Changing a normally focusable Component to be non-focusable should not cause any problems,
but changing a normally non-focusable Component/Container to be focusable would probably mean
that there is no graphical indicator that the Component has focus. If a user really needed
this they could still create a custom skin which would paint the indicator (or add a conditional
Decorator).