pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Dr. Stefano Sancese" <stef...@sancese.com>
Subject Re: RESTFul
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:10:16 GMT
Il 24/03/2011 11:19, Sandro Martini ha scritto:
> Ciao Stefano,
>
> even the signature of the execute method in PutQuery should be changed
> (currently it returns a Boolean), but with the change you proposed should
> return an Object ... (with a return Boolean when all is good otherwise
> something other like in GetQuery ...).
>
> So I think in any case should be a change for the 2.1 release and not before
> to avoid incompatible changes in the 2.0.x maintenance. But note that if
> others agree I'm not against to re-target it before.
>
> If you want to make a JIRA ticket for it (targeting the 2.1 release) and a
> reference to this thread (
> http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/RESTFul-td2716422.html ), is
> welcome.

Ciao Sandro,

since you suggest to make a ticket targeting the 2.1 release, I'll go on
with the development of my RESTful application and I'll try to write a
complete e comprensive set of suggestions.

I'm using JAX-RS, the de-facto standard I think (and I hope since I have
chosen to use it), for the server side.

I have already found a little mismach: when the JAX-RS return the
response to a succesfull PUT, it uses the 200 code to signal the request
has succeded.

I read on internet a lot of threads about RESTful and there is a lot of
arguing about what is the correct way to respond to a PUT POST or
DELETE, with which return code, which information put on the body and so
on; so it looks to me that there isn't a clear standard to refer to.

Perhaps - imvho - a solution is to choose a reference implementation for
the server side and adapt to it.

Since PIVOT, with JAXB for XML binding, is perfectly fit for develop a
RESTful client, I hope to find a way to use it flawlessly.

Stefano