pivot-user mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The patchwork that is Pivot layout
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:32:31 GMT
Greg Brown wrote:
>> At the moment, the "fill" style of BoxPane is doing double duty.
>> It means two things for a vertical boxpane
>> (1) make the component fill the available width if the component is smaller than
the boxpane width
>> (2) if the components preferred width is greater than the available width, cut off
the component.
> Actually, in #2 the component isn't simply clipped to the box pane's width - it is given
its constrained preferred height. This gives the component a chance to wrap its content, which
wouldn't be possible without the fill style (we need a width to constrain against).

Yeah, but we want to give components the chance to wrap even if fill is false, which is not
currently the case.

>> Border could do with having alignment and fill styles, which is a fairly straightforward
change and would make this
>> class more useful.
> It could, but I'm not sure how much value that might really offer. How often do you want
to put something in a border that doesn't completely fill the internal space of the border?
Probably not that often, and when you do, you can use BoxPane, TablePane, ScrollPane, etc.

Alignment and fill would affect how the bordered component sits within the space allocated
by the parent container. So
if I wrap a component in a border and put it inside something else, I don't necessarily want
it to fill the space within
it's parent.

-- Noel.