pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: The patchwork that is Pivot layout
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 19:02:24 GMT
> Currently, when a Label is inside a BoxPane, and fill==false, the
> Label will never wrap, which is a little odd, particularly when there
> is available space.
> I want to create a BoxPane, where orientation==vertical and
> fill==false, but components are allowed to size themselves vertically
> within the available width.

Again, how do you propose to do that? You certainly don't want that behavior all of the time
- the fill flag allows you to turn it on and off.

> On the Border front, I want to be able create a Border around an
> ImageView, and then place that Border inside a BoxPane, and tell the
> Border that it should not fill the available space, but instead align
> itself within that available space. This is consistent with how Label
> and ImageView work. So really, what I'm saying is that we should
> extend functionality that is available inside Label to Label's that
> are inside a Border object.

Still not understanding. By default, if you put a Border in a BoxPane, it won't fill the available
space. It will fill only its preferred size.

Also, what you are describing is *not* consistent with Label and ImageView. The alignment
styles of those components control the alignment of their own content, not how they are positioned
within a parent container (exactly the way the corresponding styles in BoxPane behave).