pivot-user mailing list archives

From mukadobo <mukad...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to open two windows
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 02:02:53 GMT
Yes.  Very simple:  a second fully-decorated native frame.  That can be
properly minimized (iconified).  That stacks under or over other Pivot
managed host displays.  That doesn't trigger application shutdown when X'ed
(as does a discarded "solution" I tried along the lines of lello's recent
suggestion on this tread to use multiple invocations of
DesktopApplicationContext.main(...)).

Actually, I hacked the code and made the standard 100-Cheeto sacrifice to
the gods of OpenSource in thanks.  My solution is fugly:  Within my own copy
of DesktopApplicationContext.java I added a new method
createDisplayFrame(...) which takes identical args as createDisplay.  The
new one is a simple copy/paste/name-change with one change: instead of
instantiating a HostDialog (extends java.awt.Dialog), the new method
instantiages a HostFrame2 (extends java.awt.Frame).  HostFrame2 is a new
class that is another copy/paste/name-change rippoff - this time of
HostDialog with the primary modification of extending java.awt.Frame rather
than java.awt.Dialog.  (It's also slightly simpler than it's rippoff-source
HostDialog, since native Frame objects are simpler themselves to instantiate
(fewer arguments)).

Needless to say, it all works well.  I get all the behaviors I want without
any of the confuxions and hedicks.  Still, I would love a better (read:
"cleaner" and "well integrated") solution...