If people want it, I imagine it could be included into Pivot.
It is best to add a feature request to JIRA and then see what comments arise.  (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT)

For desktop applications, this kind of tooltip makes sense, but the current tooltip works fine in applets as well.
I imagine that the fade-out transition of the tooltip can probably be handled too with a little effort.

I have attached my hacked together example in case you or anyone else is interested.

Chris