pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: getting object fron its container
Date Wed, 02 Feb 2011 15:23:40 GMT
Actually, because the BXML ID value is mapped to Component#setName() via the IDProperty annotation,
you could also get the button in the example below via getNamedComponent("Button1").

However, as Chris noted, getNamedComponent() is not recursive. If you want access to all values
declared with IDs in your BXML file, you should use BXMLSerializer.getNamespace().get() or
implement Bindable in your root element.

On Feb 2, 2011, at 5:06 AM, Chris Bartlett wrote:

> The Container#getNamedComponent(String) method is defined here
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/wtk/src/org/apache/pivot/wtk/Container.java
>
> You can see that it only iterates over the direct child Components in the Container and
then checks for a matching name property.
> It does *not* check to see if those Components are actually instances of Container, and
then recursively iterate over them.

> It appears that none of the standard Pivot Containers override this method at look into
child Containers, so you would need to roll your own method if you need to do that.

> Bear in mind that theContainer#getNamedComponent(String) method attempts to match against
Component#getName().
> BXMLSerializer sets the Component's name property to the same value as the bxml:id as
a convenience, but these are 2 separate values.