pivot-user mailing list archives

From Bill van Melle <bill.van.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GetQuery doesn't return over sleep (MacOS)
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 22:57:44 GMT
I was able to reproduce the issue using very simple calls via java.net.URL.
 And it's not specific to sleeping.  Unplugging your network cable does the
same thing.

As best I can tell, the problem is that the connection timeout on the Mac is
infinite, whereas on Windows it's a reasonable finite number (maybe 2
minutes)?  So in my test case with java.net.URL, I can avoid the issue by
setting the connection timeout:

    URL url = new URL(...);
    HttpURLConnection conn = (HttpURLConnection) url.openConnection();
    conn.setConnectTimeout(timeoutMs);
    conn.setReadTimeout(timeoutMs);
    conn.connect();
    . . .

I don't see how I can do this with GetQuery.  There is a setTimeout method
in Task, but it's not exactly the same notion ("The time by which the task
must complete execution"), and GetQuery doesn't seem to pay attention to it
anyway ("It is the responsibility of the implementing class to respect this
value.")