pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Class loading question
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 07:33:52 GMT
I wish I hadn't introduced that version of BXMLSerializer#readObject().  :-)  It seems to cause
more confusion than anything else.

Resources in Pivot behave the same as resource bundles in the JDK. If you use the readObject(URL,
Resources) signature rather than readObject(Class<?>, String) it will probably make
more sense. Apologies for the confusion.

On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Roger L. Whitcomb wrote:

> Hi all,
>                 Let me see if I can even ask this question intelligently:
> -          I’ve got a package hierarchy where my main program lives in package “a.b.c”.
 In this directory I have Main.java, Main.json (with the resources) and some “g.bxml”
files.
> -          In this main program I have a helper function that loads an object from a
“bxml” file and binds to whatever object you give it.  It uses a.b.c.Main as the class
and a.b.c.Main for the resources.
“a.b.c” package) and all works fine and the @BXML variables get set correctly.
> -          Now I introduce a “a.b.c.d” package and want to load a “dialog.bxml”
from this directory from “Dialog1.java” (a.b.c.d.Dialog class) using my same helper function
(from a.b.c.Main).  First off, using a name of “d/dialog.bxml” loads the file fine and
I can see it on screen, BUT none of my @BXML variables inside “a.b.c.d.Dialog” get set,
and I get no errors or exceptions.
> -          Fine – I’m thinking it’s just a package problem, so I copy the helper
function into Dialog.java and try to use the same resources from “a.b.c.Main” and it starts
giving me “Can’t find resource for base name a.b.c.d.Dialog, locale en_US” messages.
 Okay, so I have to move the resources into there too, which means more initialization, etc.,
etc.

> So, I guess my question is this:  what is the best way to organize the markup files and
resource file(s) in this package hierarchy?  And what is the “right” way to use the class
names to load resources and send to the BXMLSerializer so that my annotated variables get
set correctly?  Should I always pass the same class name to the serializer (and hence put
the resources and bxml files in the same directory(ies)) as the Java classes?  If I want to
put stuff in a common places (or places) where should that be?

> Am I making sense here or is more detail needed?  Thanks much!
>
> Roger Whitcomb
> Architect, Engineering
> Ingres Corporation
> roger.whitcomb@ingres.com
>
> PHONE +1 650.587.5596
> FAX +1 650.587.5550
>
> www.ingres.com
>
> This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient named
above. It may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original transmission and
all copies from your system.