pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Question on dynamic data binding
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:31:04 GMT
Binding is a word that is unfortunately overused in UI toolkits. Pivot supports four forms
of binding:

- Data binding - this uses the load() and store() methods of Component to populate a UI with
data from a "bind context" and vice versa. It is generally used to process form data sent
to and from a server.

- Data-driven components - components such as ListView and TableView can be "bound" to a data
model and are automatically updated when the model state changes.

- Property binding - property binding allows a caller to create an association between a source
and target property such that updates to the source are automatically reflected in the target.
For example, I could bind the "text" property of a Label to the "text" property of a TextInput
- when the user types in the text input, the label's text is updated to match.

- BXML binding - this is used to map named objects in a BXML source file to member variables
in a target object, generally via the @BXML annotation.

So, to answer your question, no - you cannot use property binding as a replacement for the
model binding used by a data-driven component, because they serve different purposes.

Hope this helps,