pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [pivot] are there any tools to convert bxml to Java?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 19:16:32 GMT
> I think just telling the technological possibility is not good enough to claim Java API
based approach is supported.(it similar to claim machine language can support anything)

Huh? Have you actually looked at the Javadoc? It isn't just a "technological possibility"
- the entire platform is written in Java! Take BXML out of the picture and every feature would
still work.

> If it can support readable GUI description in Java, we should claim it supports Java
API based development.

Here is an example of a readable Pivot GUI description in Java:

PushButton pushButton = new PushButton();
pushButton.setButtonData("My Button");

The builder syntax you proposed is nice, but it is certainly not a requirement for saying
that Pivot supports Java development. It is simply a design pattern. Would you say that Swing
does not support Java development because it does not provide a builder syntax? If so, I doubt
that you would find many who would agree.

> Yes, Vaadin is server based stateful session approach. So it has a problem to support
cloud based server infrastructure like Google app engine.
> That was the main reason I was more interested in Pivot.
> But for GUI developing phase, these difference of deployment approach are not much noticeable.
In this sense, I thought Pivot and Vaadin is similar. And I expected Pivot be  similar to
Vaadin when I start evaluating Pivot.

You may want to adjust that expectation. We did not model the design of Pivot on Vaadin in
any way. In fact, I'm not even sure that Vaadin existed when Pivot 1.0 was released. Pivot's
architecture was much more heavily influenced by the design of Swing, Flex, and WPF.