pivot-user mailing list archives

From calathus <calat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pivot] are there any tools to convert bxml to Java?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:59:47 GMT
On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM, Greg Brown <gk_brown@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Greg Brown <gk_brown@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> If the attribute was processed in the opening tag, we'd get an
>>> IndexOutOfBoundsException, since the Labels would not have been added yet.
>>>

>> This is the problem I faced. But most of other attribute seems OK to set
>> at the opening tag.
>>

>> Correct - many attributes can be set in the opening tag, but any that have
>> dependencies on child elements cannot. Since there is no harm in setting all
>> attributes in the closing tag, that is what we do.
>>
>> If Pivot is used only through BXML, these order are hidden from user, it
>> may not matter.
>> But if it is directly used in Java codes, this makes code hard to read.
>>

>> Agreed, but if you are hand-coding using your builder style, you can put
>> the setters wherever you like. If you are using a BXML to Java converter, it
>> doesn't really matter where they go because the generated code isn't really
>> meant to be human-readable (that's what BXML is for).
>>

> This is quite opposite for my purpose. I would want to have human readable
> Java code. In fact, If we do start using this builder style, we will not
> need BXML file nor this converter.
>

> Though you may prefer to use the builder pattern exclusively, others may
> prefer to continue working with BXML. The converter would be a nice way to
> ensure that a BXML source is valid.

I think some people would prefer to use BXML style, but the point here is
Java API based development should be equally well supported.(without
assuming the use of BXML).
I think Pivot is, in the basic Java oriented approach, more closer to Vaadin
than Silverlight etc. Vaadin explicitly avoid using any form of XML as basic
policy, it emphasizes pure Java based approach. I wonder Pivot developers
have looked at the project..

Also this cases, I wonder why it just can't set the initial index value. The
>> Pivot code may select element after tabs tag is closed if selectedIndex is
>> defined.
>>

>> Not sure what you mean. TabPane has a default value for selectedIndex.
>> However, TabPane doesn't know anything about a closing tag - only
>> BXMLSerializer knows about that.
>>

> I have not looked at the current codes for  selectedIndex, but if it
> creates a selectedIndex function and register in a list of post evaluation
> function  associated with the corresponding element, when the tag is closed,
> it can start evaluation these functions.

> Essentially it is hard for user to remember which attributes must be set
> after elements declaration,
>

> "selectedIndex" simply maps to TabPane#setSelectedIndex(). Obviously, you
> can't call setSelectedIndex() until the tabs have been added. So I don't
> think there should be any confusion on the developer's part.
>
> It would probably help for you to look at the Java APIs themselves rather
> than trying to reverse-engineer them from BXML. I think that may help
> clarify some things for you.
>
> BTW, I believe I understand the issue with the non-struct final classes now
> - since you can't create anonymous inner subclasses of them, it breaks your
> builder pattern. I can see an argument for making those classes non-final -
> however, the struct classes need to stay final for performance reasons (and,
> as I mentioned, aren't really meant to be used in markup anyways).

Cheers,
calathus