pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [pivot] are there any tools to convert bxml to Java?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:34:56 GMT
> OK, I'm not actually thinking BXML should be abandoned.  There are many type of user and
usage scenario which would fit BXML approach.
> But these approach is static, it is not good fit for creating more dynamic library for
GUI(for instance the number of table columns are changed based on passed parameter class).
> Since you put low priority for supporting readable Java code generation, I thought you
may not be interested in this type of approach.

I don't see the value in trying to generate "readable" Java code from BXML. If you are a developer
who prefers to declare your UI in Java (perhaps using your builder approach), then you probably
won't be using BXML anyways and won't care what the generated code looks like. If you are
a developer who prefers BXML, you most likely will never look at the generated code, since
presumably you want to continue developing in BXML and only use the compiler for the performance
or compile-time type safety benefits.

Besides, all we're really talking about here is where generated attribute setters go. The
generated code would still be quite readable - it just may not be organized exactly the way
you would do it had you written it by hand. To me, that's just not a major issue.