pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [pivot] are there any tools to convert bxml to Java?
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 23:37:01 GMT
> It would be confusing to change the semantics of existing selectedIndex. It looks like
very imperative operator which is not appropriate for using element attribute declaration.

...and yet BXML, which uses attributes extensively, handles it just fine.  :-)

> The clearer approach would be to introduce new declarative attribute operator like selectedDefaultIndex,
which will not apply immediately for the existing element list.

When would it be applied? This is what I mean when I say it would be more confusing. I know
immediately what "selectedIndex" and setSelectedIndex() do. I have no idea what "selectedDefaultIndex"
means.

> But as you will see, we need to know which attributes need to be defined later, we must
have detailed knowledge for the API. these are not so easy/simple API for the user.

I think you may be getting hung up on trying to automatically generate code that is organized
the way you want it. A developer writing out your builder syntax by hand will know when it
is appropriate to call each setter, and (once again) it does not matter where these attributes
are set in generated code.