pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: why ListButton.getListData returns List<?> ?
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:10:29 GMT
It's true that it will eliminate the need for a cast, but the API is not pretty, and you still
won't catch errors until runtime. If we really think that casting is a big deal (which I'm
not sure I do), I'd much prefer adding a type parameter to the methods.

On Jan 25, 2011, at 3:01 PM, calathus wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Greg Brown <gk_brown@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Since generic version may give wrong impression that it is type safe, it may be
better to provide two version for getter, one is just return List<object>, another will
return List<T> taking class value as the argument. also we may use generic method for
setter. see following sample code.
> >         public List<Object> getList() {
> >             return (List<Object>)ts;
> >         }
> >         public <T> List<T> getList(Class<T> cls) {
> >             return (List<T>)ts;
> >         }
>
> Yuck. I think it is probably best to leave it as-is.
>
> I think this approach will eliminate using cast for adding element(which is very frequently
used), while current one still requires cast.