pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: more databinding questions ...nested beans
Date Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:51:25 GMT
In this scenario, what columns are you trying to display in your table, and what class would
you be using for your row data?

On Dec 23, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Gerrick Bivins wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have another question about data binding.  Let's say I have a java Bean which contains
some other Beans as it properties.
> For example( not the exact code but I tried to simplify for this example):
>
> //base Bean
> class MyBaseBean
> {
>    //custom class that contains some base functionality for handling change/veto events
of beans
>    // but not listed here to try and simplify the example
> }
>
> class A<T extends Number> extends BaseBean{
>    T getProperty();
>    void setProperty(T property) throws VetoException;
>    String getPropertyName();
>    void setPropertyName(String name) throws VetoException;
> }
>
> class B extends MyBean
> {
>     A propb1;
>     A propb2;
>    A getPropb1(){...};
>    void setPropb1(A pb1) throws VetoException{...};
>
>    A getPropb2(){...};
>    void setPropb2(A pb2) throws VetoException{...};
> }
>  and some other similar Beans
> class C extends MyBaseBean
> {
>    A propc1;
>     A propc2;
>    A getPropc1(){...};
>    void setPropc1(A pc1) throws VetoException{...};
>
>    A getPropc2(){...};
>    void setPropc2(A pc2) throws VetoException{...};
> }
>
> What I'm trying to do is display the data of  class C and B in a table without having
to write a separate table for each. Seems like I should be able to accomplish this
> since to display classes C and B I just need to drill down to each of their properties
of type "class A" and pluck the data off each property for the row.
> In Flex (sorry for the reference but it's the world I'm coming from), I could define
a callback function that gave access to the bound object and the row,column index of
> the table, which allowed me to get at the appropriate data for the cell.
>
> I tried looking through some of the binding tutorials and most of them described how
to use what I call the "dot notation" to set up the bindings,
> which works if I want to create a separate table for each class (C and B).
> I can't claim to fully understand the *BindMapping functionality in Pivot yet so maybe
I'm missing something there.