pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [pivot] are there any tools to convert bxml to Java?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2010 01:54:21 GMT
> My goal was to create a generic class to support CRUD GUI from a given Java Beans class.
Although it is not generic version, Vaadin provides such sample implementation which may be
 immediately used for real projects.

I'd be interested in learning more about how you envision something like this might work.

> I wondered if Pivot is really designed to support normal Java class based GUI implementation.

It most certainly is.  :-)  BXML is just a shortcut to coding your UI by hand. Anything you
can do in BXML, you can do in Java (though, in many cases, not quite as conveniently).

> Regarding to the translator, since there is no detail sample how to use these Java API
directly, it would be helpful if we have such bxml to Java translator.
> But ideally, Pivot site should include more detailed sample/explanation for Java Pivot
API based approach(without bxml). Then we would not need such a tool.

If you read the BXML Primer, you should have a good understanding of how BXML maps to Java.
There's no magic to it - it is very straightforward.

> Also if we may really have declarative GUI design, using Scala may be more attractive
way. Scala would allow declaring GUI in equivalent code side as BXML.

I'm not sure how this would work. Scala is conceptually more akin to Java than markup. Could
you elaborate?

> BTW, I still wonder where the following code went wrong.  I would appreciate your suggestion
for the following code(java verson of custom_table_view.bxml).
> When it is run, it opens the applet window, but it does not show anything.

Two errors:

- You need to call border.setContent(scrollPane), not border.add(scrollPane).

- You need to call scrollPane.setView(tableView). Otherwise, the scroll pane won't know what
it's content is.

I made these changes and the app worked fine.