pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gk_br...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: What's the best component to subclass?
Date Sat, 04 Dec 2010 13:15:50 GMT
> Which is why I said conceptually, though maybe that's not the best word.  From the programmer's
naive point of view (i.e., what you might think if you don't look inside the .g file), someone
calls new Foo(), at which point the constructor calls InitializeComponent, whose mission is
to "go do all that stuff the xaml file says".

> It's not exactly the same as deserializing BXML in a constructor. In BXML, the root element
is instantiated by BXMLSerializer, not the new operator.

> Yes.  But does it have to be that way?  I haven't looked at the BXMLSerializer code,
so perhaps I'm being naive, but it seems like you could have a different entry point to the
code, one that accepts the already-created root class as a parameter rather than creating
one only after parsing the root element.

This is theoretically possible. An argument could be added to BXMLSerializer#readObject(InputStream)
that contains the root object to use, rather than assuming that it is null. The constructor
could then call:

  readObject(getClass().getResourceAsStream("Foo.bxml"), this);

and ignore the return value (since it would be the same as this, and constructors can't return
anything anyway). Not a bad idea. Definitely something to think about for a future release.