pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: How to use Bindable
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 00:55:10 GMT
Yes, it is usable (though not yet officially released). You can see the demos and tutorials
here:

http://ixnay.biz/pivot-demos/
http://ixnay.biz/pivot-tutorials/

If you want to check it out, I'd suggest building from trunk. Let me know if you need any
help with that.

On Nov 10, 2010, at 6:25 PM, ocean ocean wrote:

> Hey Greg,
>
> Very interesting. What's the status of pivot 2.0? Is it usable right now?
>
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> Bindable only gets called on the root element of a WTKX or BXML document. This is because
the document's variable namespace applies to the document as a whole, not to individual sub-elements.
However, this also works for includes. So, if you write this:

> <TabPane>
>  <tabs>
>    <wtkx:include src="my_panel.wtkx"/>
>  </tabs>
> </TabPane>
>
> and my_panel.wtkx defines <me:MyPanel> as the root element, bind() will automatically
be called on it, as well as initialize().

> Note also that you don't need to load your panel's content in the MyPanel constructor
- you can simply use WTKX for this:

> my_panel.wtkx:
>
> <me:MyPanel>
>  <content>
>    <!-- my content goes here -->
>  </content>
> </me:MyPanel>
>
> Finally, note that in Pivot 2.0, tags such as <tabs> and <content> are optional.
TabPane and Border now define "default properties", which can be omitted in markup:

> <TabPane>
>  <wtkx:include src="my_panel.wtkx"/>
> </TabPane>
>
> <me:MyPanel>
>  <!-- my content goes here -->
> </me:MyPanel>
>
> See the BXML Primer for more info:
>
>  http://ixnay.biz/pivot-tutorials/bxml-primer.html
>
> This document discusses BXML and the Pivot 2.0 version of Bindable, but most of the same
concepts apply to Pivot 1.5.

> On Nov 8, 2010, at 9:40 PM, ocean ocean wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I am having trouble figuring out how to use the org.apache.pivot.wtkx.Bindable interface.
> >
> > Let's say I create a class that extends a container that then reads in a WTKX file,
eg:

> > MyPanel.java:
> > public class MyPanel extends Border implements Bindable {
> >
> >     public MyPanel() throws Exception {
> >         WTKXSerializer wtkxSerializer = new WTKXSerializer();
> >         Component content = (Component) wtkxSerializer.readObject(this, "my-panel.wtkx");
> >         setContent(content);
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > Then I can reference this file from the main window very easily using WTKX:
> >
> > <TabPane>
> >  <tabs>
> >  <me:MyPanel />
> > </tabs>
> > </TabPane>
> >
> > In this situation, Bindable.bind() doesn't get called. My panel class is constructed
but then I have to manually call bind on it. Is there a better way to get both modularization
(being able to use separate wtkx files and separate panel classes) and also use the Bindable
interface?