pivot-user mailing list archives

From Mike Smorul <msmo...@gmail.com>
Subject Remote X11 performance
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:19:55 GMT
I've been trying to run a pivot app forwarded over SSH/X11 and the
performance makes it almost unusable. Screen redraws take several
seconds and mouse events are delayed enough that double-clicks almost
never register. A similar swing app performing similar actions (file
browsing) responds as if it's running locally.

The two machines are connected via a gig link w/ .3ms latency. One
major difference I've noticed betwee the swing and pivot app is the
amount of network traffic. During redraws, the pivot app will push
almost 2MB/s while the swing app hardly ever pushes over 100KB/s. I've
tried the usual java2d trick of '-Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false', but
this had little effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
 -Mike