pivot-user mailing list archives

From Mike Smorul <msmo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remote X11 performance
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:12:42 GMT
I spoke a little too soon about using -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false,
it was a webstart test, so I needed to specify
-J-Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false. Interactive performance improved,
however bandwidth requirements were just as severe.

I'm not sure if java has a clean to detect if its running remotely way
other than checking the DISPLAY environment variable.

-Mike

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
> It's probably because all drawing in Pivot is double-buffered, so bitmaps are being sent
over the wire rather than graphics primitives.

> We could potentially provide a way to turn this off - or maybe there is a way to detect
a remote X display and automatically turn it off?