pivot-user mailing list archives

From Superstring Media <superstring.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Symbol rendering options
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 07:44:29 GMT
ImageView looks like a possible way to render music symbol images but there are very many symbols
that make up a musical score. I had this issue with JavaFX nodes which were very memory and
performance expensive. I'm not sure how Pivot fares with this?

If ImageViews were used they could also use decorators because each symbol would be a component.
Another idea that might work is what Christoper Oliver (of JavaFX fame) called "Instancing".
This is where multiple ImageViews could all reference the same symbol image. For example,
a score may contain many quarter notes which could use the same image. It did look like ImageView
would support this concept.

Due to the many individual symbols involved in a score and the way in which they all need
to be placed in relation to each other I have been leaning towards using my own layout manager
and straightforward image rendering. However, maybe there are better options now?

Where in TextArea are the glyphs rendered?

Thom