pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: QueryServlet/Hibernate
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 02:05:37 GMT
FYI, I apologize for the delay in providing feedback on this. It is still on my to-do list,
and I'm very much looking forward to taking a closer look at it!

On Aug 27, 2010, at 1:16 AM, Taro App wrote:

> Oops, sorry for the large attachment. I hope it wouldn't clog anyone's
> mail server...
>

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Taro App <apptaro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I may not have enough time to write up a blog entry, I'll just
>> attach the demo here. It's a war file with the source code. Should
>> work on Java 1.6 + Tomcat 6.0. Libraries used are:
>>
>> - Hibernate 3.5.5 (with Annotation & JPA)
>> - Apache Derby 10.6.1.0 (Embeded, In Memory)
>> - JUnit 4.8.2
>> and of course, Apache Pivot 1.5.1 QueryServlet!
>>
>> jpaqueryservlet.servlet.ContactQueryServlet extends QueryServlet to
>> provide CRUD services for Contact data, which only has id, last name,
>> first name and version for optimistic locking. ContactQueryServlet
>> makes calls to ContactDao, and ContactDao uses JPA for database
>> access. Hibernate provides the underlining database work for JPA, as
>> configured in persistence.xml. ContactDao is a bit overly complex for
>> the purpose of this demo, but it uses JPA generic DAO pattern.
>> OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter, a servlet filter, provides
>> open-session-in-view pattern, which may also be a bit overly complex
>> for the purpose. Derby database is started and shutted down by
>> DerbyManagerListener, a servlet context listener. ContactWsTest is the
>> class to test the web service.
>>
>> apptaro
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Nice! Can we see it, or do we have to wait for the blog entry?  :-)

good REST-based front end to Hibernate or some other Java-based ORM tool. However, I don't
have a lot of experience with ORMs - the DB apps I have written have generally used JDBC directly.

a simple demo to test the theory)? I think an example that retrieves a bean from the DB and
uses JSONSerializer to write it back out to the caller would be very cool. I'd be happy to
help with such an example if anyone is interested.