pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: TextArea/RichTextArea
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 02:10:11 GMT
By the way, this suggestion doesn't invalidate any of the (extensive) work that Noel has done
recently with TextArea. In fact, it wouldn't be possible without it. I'm just wondering if
a supporting read-only text pane might be a better long-term strategy than supporting rich
text authoring...

On Sep 9, 2010, at 9:42 PM, Greg Brown wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm about ready to check in final support for the new TextArea. There are still a few
bugs to work out, but it is mostly functional.

> I'd like to raise the question again of what to call the new "rich text area". I'm still
pretty excited about the concept of a "TextPane" component - this would be a container whose
primary purpose is to support text-based layouts that aren't easily achievable (or even possible)
using some of our other layout containers. For example, designers of complex text-based forms
could really benefit from such a component.

> The existing (rich) TextArea class can certainly be used for this purpose, but it currently
has a lot of baggage since it supports editing. A pure "text pane" wouldn't need such support,
so it would significantly simplify the codebase if we were to eliminate it.

> I think there may be a lot more long-term value in a "TextPane" class than a "RichTextArea"
component. It would also be a lot easier to maintain (which is a very valid concern in a volunteer-driven
effort like Pivot).

> We don't necessarily need to decide right now, but I'm thinking that "TextPane" might
be a more appropriate name for this component either way. It also has a bit more parity with
the "org.apache.pivot.wtk.text" package, and the view classes, which currently live in org.apache.pivot.wtk.skin,
could be moved to org.apache.pivot.wtk.skin.text.