pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Roger L. Whitcomb" <Roger.Whitc...@ingres.com>
Subject RE: Best practice for implementing Actions
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 17:07:33 GMT
So, looking for where the Action.perform() method is called from:

-          In Window.java from a key press - the context would have to
be the Window component

-          In Button.java - obviously the Button component (Menu.Item
and MenuBar.Item are both derived from this)

That's all the places I can find - I guess that covers all the cases?
So, Component it should be.

Roger Whitcomb | Architect, Engineering | Roger.Whitcomb@ingres.com|
Ingres | 500 Arguello Street | Suite 200 | Redwood City | CA | 94063 |
USA
<http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=500+Arguello+Street+%7C
+Suite+200+%7C+Redwood+City+%7C+CA+%7C+94063+%7C+USA+&sll=37.0625,-95.67
7068&sspn=50.557552,73.037109&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr>  | +1
650-587-5596 | fax: +1 650-587-5550

From: Greg Brown [mailto:gkbrown@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:55 AM
To: user@pivot.apache.org
Cc: Pivot Dev
Subject: Re: Best practice for implementing Actions

Ha. I think you have identified a valid issue with the Action interface:
the perform() method does not provide the implementor with any
information about the object that triggered the action.

Now, this was originally by design - the thinking was that it should be
possible to execute an action regardless of the UI element that invoked
it. Since actions can potentially be triggered by multiple elements,
they should not generally have a dependency on a particular element.
However, that premise doesn't account for shared actions, or the
possibility that the developer may actually want to execute different
action behaviors based on the source value.

In order to resolve this, I think we'll need to add an argument to the
perform() method that identifies the action's source. If we add it to
1.5.2, it will be a breaking API change, which we generally try to avoid
in maintenance releases. However, I have already made one API change for
1.5.2 (to the ResultList class, to resolve a serious performance issue),
so it is not out of the question. Since this is a major functional
limitation, it is probably worth doing.

The only question in my mind is - what should the type of the source
argument be? It could be an Object, but I could also see an argument for
making it a Component (Action is defined in the org.apache.pivot.wtk
package, after all).

Thoughts/comments?

Greg