pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Pivot SVG integration
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:02:35 GMT
The serializer wouldn't have anything to do with the actual drawing - it would simply translate
SVG files into the shape DOM defined in org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.drawing. It probably wouldn't
support SVG animation syntax, though - just the DOM. There are currently a couple of examples
of animating this DOM in the demos and tutorials.

On Sep 21, 2010, at 2:58 PM, aappddeevv wrote:

> To your point about SVG integration, I’m not sure that as a serializer you want significant
more out of it than getting it to draw (and animate) using 2D.

> I’ve attached my own batik pivot port files. I have not used it in awhile but it was
working under SVN head (which means 2.0’ish).

in using SVGSalamander to load standard SVG and also SVG Webfonts which are then rendered
with Java 2D. The SVGSalamander API is robust and it likely would be far less trouble creating
a SVGSerializer using SVGSalamander.

> If you tell me a bit more about how you want it to integrate SVG I can ask the SVGSalamander
developer to provide some feedback.

> Thom
>

> On 2010-09-21, at 12:21 AM, Chris Bartlett wrote:
>

> Thom,
>
> The following JIRA issue relates to adding some SVG support to Pivot (targeted for Pivot
2.1).
> I'm sure others on the list can comment futher about this as it was a bit before my time.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIVOT-318
>

> Pivot 1.5.1 was released on August 20, 2010 and we are hard at work on 2.0.
> Once again I will have to defer to others as to a roadmap or possible release dates.
>
> However you can see the progress we are making with the following report
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310863&fixfor=12313780&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> On 21 September 2010 11:42, TJB <zoomclub@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Pivot,
>
> Recently I looked at Pivot and became very happy with what I saw, lots of progress over
the last year! I'm impressed with the fine widgets and so much more and will be going through
the tutorials next. The WKTX also reminds me of the declarative script in the Sage API by
Sparseware which I liked when I reviewed it.

> Presently we work with Java 2D and the SVGSalamander API. The ability to draw up vector
art in inkscape or illustrator and then open the result SVG in a Java app works well. Is there
any support for SVG in Pivot presently?

> If not please look into SVGSalamander as an addition, it does most of what Batik did
but is not so huge, slow or old. If SVGSalamander would be integrated (by us or you) what
are your recommendations on how to approach this task?

> Also, when is Pivot 2.0 available and is there a roadmap?
>
> P.S. Hey, it was a good day! JavaFX Script got dumped and JavaFX 2.0 will not be seen
until Q3 2011. You guys are way ahead already and the road is clear for miles and miles. Go
Pivot Go!