pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Best practice for implementing Actions
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2010 17:01:03 GMT
FYI, I just prototyped this change in the Pivot 2.0 codebase, and a Component type argument
seems to work well.

On Sep 9, 2010, at 12:54 PM, Greg Brown wrote:

> Ha. I think you have identified a valid issue with the Action interface: the perform()
method does not provide the implementor with any information about the object that triggered
the action.

> Now, this was originally by design - the thinking was that it should be possible to execute
an action regardless of the UI element that invoked it. Since actions can potentially be triggered
by multiple elements, they should not generally have a dependency on a particular element.
However, that premise doesn't account for shared actions, or the possibility that the developer
may actually want to execute different action behaviors based on the source value.

> In order to resolve this, I think we'll need to add an argument to the perform() method
that identifies the action's source. If we add it to 1.5.2, it will be a breaking API change,
which we generally try to avoid in maintenance releases. However, I have already made one
API change for 1.5.2 (to the ResultList class, to resolve a serious performance issue), so
it is not out of the question. Since this is a major functional limitation, it is probably
worth doing.

> The only question in my mind is - what should the type of the source argument be? It
could be an Object, but I could also see an argument for making it a Component (Action is
defined in the org.apache.pivot.wtk package, after all).

> Thoughts/comments?
>
> Greg
>
> On Sep 9, 2010, at 10:33 AM, Roger L. Whitcomb wrote:
>
>> My application has a large tree in the left-hand side with context menus (different)
on every node of the tree.  So, the context menu actions are highly context-sensitive (the
“Properties” item, obviously, would need to know the exact selected object that the context
menu was brought up on in order to get the right Properties dialog).

>> So, my question is:  what is “best practice” as far as Pivot goes in order to
transmit this context into the Action.perform() method?  The “Expenses” tutorial seems
to rely on global variables and using “getSelectedRow” on that TableView object.  So,
is this the best way?  Is there some way I don’t see to get the context directly in the
Action object?

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Roger Whitcomb
>> Architect, Engineering
>> Ingres Corporation
>> roger.whitcomb@ingres.com
>>
>> PHONE +1 650.587.5596
>> FAX +1 650.587.5550
>>
>> www.ingres.com
>>
>> This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient
named above. It may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original transmission and
all copies from your system.