pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Pivot SVG Integration Continued
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:24:56 GMT
I thought the idea of wrapping SVGSalamander would work well. Any reason not to pursue that?

Are there fonts that support musical notation? That might render more efficiently than something
defined in SVG.

On Sep 27, 2010, at 3:46 AM, Superstring Media wrote:

> There was a "batik-pivot.zip" posted in "Pivot SVG Integration" and it uses a lot of
Batik dependencies. Batik is large and if Pivot already has a drawing API and a interactive
DOM along with XML parsing then using Batik may be overkill.

> In my own project prior to knowing about Pivot SVGSalamander was used, but mostly because
of the XML processing it already could do plus the translation of SVG paths into Java2D it
did. Maybe most of the similar requirements are already present in Pivot?

> In another SVG to Java2D project called the SVG Shape Extractor Batik was also used,
however it used a greatly reduced version and called it "batik-cutdown.jar". Here is a link
to that project:

> http://www.jasperpotts.com/blog/2007/07/svg-shape-2-java2d-code/
>
> Where SVG is most useful is in importing artwork from vector graphic apps. If the artwork
can be converted into a Pivot drawing that would be useful. In my project we went further
and converted SVG Webfont glyphs into images so that they could be rendered with the greatest
possible speed. Because the glyphs in my case are music notation symbols I was not as inclined
to want to use a scenegraph of nodes because there would be performance issues if to many
music glyphs were rendered.