pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Pivot SVG integration
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:03:10 GMT
Pivot currently supports a "scene graph" API that can be used to construct vector images. The
node classes are defined in org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.drawing. Some simple examples are available
in the tutorial:

http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/drawing.html

PIVOT-318 discusses adding SVG serializer support to the drawing API (in other words, the
ability to load a Pivot shape hierarchy from SVG). We have also talked about doing something
similar for FXG (an Adobe vector graphic format). However, we have been focusing on some other
areas recently so it hasn't gotten much attention.

SVGSalamander sounds great. Unfortunately, it is released under LGPL which isn't compatible
with ASL 2.0. However, it should certainly be possible to use it in a Pivot app - we do something
similar with JFreeChart, which is also LGPL.

The easiest thing to do might be to create a custom subclass of org.apache.pivot.wtk.media.Image
that wraps SVGSalamander. This should be pretty straightfoward, but let us know if you have
any questions.

> Also, when is Pivot 2.0 available and is there a roadmap?

We don't have a definitive timeframe for Pivot 2.0, but we're pretty close to wrapping up
development. If you are just starting with Pivot, I might suggest beginning with 2.0 - though
we still have testing and documentation to do, the feature set is pretty solid at this point.

> P.S. Hey, it was a good day! JavaFX Script got dumped and JavaFX 2.0 will not be seen
until Q3 2011. You guys are way ahead already and the road is clear for miles and miles. Go
Pivot Go!

Thanks!  :-)

Greg