pivot-user mailing list archives

From Superstring Media <superstring.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Building a multi-layer editing surface
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:18:10 GMT
The Pivot API says the OverlayDecorator can not process events because it is strictly visual.
This is okay in some use cases but what I'm looking for is a way to create a layered stack
of components (panels, image-views, etc) that can also use contextual editors which are over
laid on top of all nested layers.

For my editing scenario a foreground glasspane layer for interaction (event processing) and
intermediate rendering, a middle layer used only for rendering of accepted content (musical
notation notes and symbols) and a background layer used only for displaying rendered music
staff lines and an optional color or image are needed. Any of the layers should have the option
to render their specific graphics but have transparent backgrounds so that they contain what
has been rendered on them but allow the layers below them to be seen. These Photoshop type
layers nicely separate the concerns of music Z order layout and also reduce the amount of
painting required when editing.

On the foreground layer it should also be possible to render temporary contextual icons and
other small editors over top of all layers (they automatically appear as a result of hit detection
when hovering over the interact-layer and are erased as the cursor moves away from a qualifying
hit location). These icons and editors need to be able to process events so decorators do
not look like they are suited. Maybe it would be best if the editors could be separate Pivot
drawings floating over top with the ability to process events? If this is not possible then
maybe I'd have to do my own hit tracking using only a decorator?

Can Pivot support a stack of layers and the over laying editors that follow the cursor around
as qualifying hit locations are found? What would be the best way to achieve the nested layer
surface that can also utilize the contextual editors? Where is the transparency amount set
on the different components? Are components in a StackPane just automatically transparent?

Superstring