pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Further question about menu context
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:39:32 GMT
You are correct - there is no way to determine if a menu belongs to a menu bar, menu button,
or context menu - menus don't maintain a reference to any kind of "owner" component, aside
from the parent Menu.Item (which is null if a menu is the root menu).

Using separate actions (which possibly share a common base class) seems like a good idea.

On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Roger L. Whitcomb wrote:

> I’m working with the latest changes to 1.5.2/2.0 to pass in the Component to the Action.perform()
method(s), and I’m still having trouble with differentiating the source of the action, particularly
for context menus vs. regular menus.  I (rather naively) thought that I could test to see
if the Menu.Item was ultimately parented by a MenuBar or not to differentiate the regular
window menu from a right-click menu.  Not so – both end up parented by a MenuPopup attached
to the Display.  Then I thought I could use “isContextMenu()” from MenuPopup, which does
work, but not for submenus…. L  Is this a bug, or a misunderstanding on my part?  Is there
any other way to tell whether the menu item is coming from a right-click menu or the menu
bar?  Thanks.

> The use case here is that I have some right-click menu items that do the same action
as regular menu items, but with different context.  Right now, I mapped them both to the same
action.  But, maybe I need to make separate actions and that will solve it.  The case where
the action is invoked from a toolbar vs. a menu is solved with the Component being passed
in (also the shortcut key case).

> Roger Whitcomb
> Architect, Engineering
> Ingres Corporation
> roger.whitcomb@ingres.com
>
> PHONE +1 650.587.5596
> FAX +1 650.587.5550
>
> www.ingres.com
>
> This transmission is confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient named
above. It may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original transmission and
all copies from your system.