pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Swing interop features
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:57:58 GMT
Yeah, writing a L&F is not a trivial task. But it is doable, and may be worthwhile if it
helps attract new developers.

My primary goal in improving Swing support is to give developers another reason to consider
Pivot over JavaFX, which apparently doesn't provide any migration path from Swing. Swing developers
constitute a large percentage of Pivot's target audience, so making it easier for them to
switch to Pivot seems like a good idea.

Anyone else want to comment?

On Aug 2, 2010, at 10:09 AM, Noel Grandin wrote:

> Greg Brown wrote:
>>> Visual consistency is a double edged sword. If things are obviously different,
people live with it, but once you start
>>> down the road towards consistency, users will get pickier and pickier.
>> My idea was to back the L&F with the actual Terra skins, so in theory they should
look exactly the same.

> Sounds like a good idea. But quite a lot of work. The Swing skin class code is pretty
messy inside.
>>> I would rather we simply focussed on improving the Pivot L&F - for example,
the default fonts are completely wrong on my
>>> desktop.
>> Can you elaborate? The default font is Verdana, which (IMO) looks pretty good across
all platforms. What font would you prefer to use?

>> What other suggestions do you have for improving Terra? The feedback I have gotten
recently is that the current L&F is actually pretty good.

> The font size is wrong. We run a lot of large screens at high resolution resolution here,
so it's not uncommon for the
> font size to be non-default.
>
> Pivot in general looks pretty good by itself, but because it doesn't use the default
system font, and it doesn't use it
> at the correct size, it tends to be the odd one out when used in conjunction with other
stuff.