pivot-user mailing list archives

From Dirk Moebius <dmoeb...@scoop-gmbh.de>
Subject Re: Pivot apps as "native" executables
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:05:28 GMT
I also use Launch4j to generate Windows executable wrappers for some of
my Java programs. It works very well.

Usually I repack my jars and all 3rd party libraries (such as Pivot)
together into one big jar, so that the resulting EXE is self-contained
and can be passed around without creating a ZIP file containing a lib/
folder. It simplifies installation: just put the EXE somewhere and
double click it, that's it.

Note that you can configure your Launch4j exe wrapper to search for a
Java runtime in various standard places (registry, $JAVA_HOME
environment variable etc.), and display an error dialog with a custom
message when a suitable runtime cannot be found. You can even configure
Launch4j to open a url to a JRE download location in case no runtime is
available.

Dirk.

Greg Brown wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One item that has been on my to-do list for quite a while is creating an example that
shows how to package up a Pivot application as a "native" executable for Windows and OS X.
I finally got around to this today. You can see the results here:

>    http://ixnay.biz/deployment/deployment-example-windows.zip
>    http://ixnay.biz/deployment/deployment-example-osx.tar.gz
>
> These archives contain a simple example application packaged as a Windows executable
and an OS X application bundle, respectively. There is also a web version, suitable for deployment
via a Java app server:

>    http://ixnay.biz/deployment/deployment-example.war
>
> The build script I used to generate these files is here:
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/deployment-example.xml
>
> The script relies on two other open-source projects:
>
>    http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/index.html (BSD)
>    http://informagen.com/JarBundler/ (GPL)
>
> You'll need to install these in order to generate the native apps. Note that Launch4J
is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux, but JarBundler only works on OS X.