pivot-user mailing list archives

From "Dr. Stefano Sancese" <stef...@sancese.com>
Subject Re: ListButton - Is it the correct way?
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:04:57 GMT
Il 02/08/2010 18:47, Alejandro Vilar ha scritto:

> Hi Stefano,

Hi Alejandro,

thanks for your prompt replay.

> Your approach works well because "toString" method  only be called
> when a customer is painted, but it doesn't avoids some possible side
> effects in the rest of your code(i.e. logging). Another way is to use
> renderers as follows:

<snip>

Ok an other subject to learn: renderers

> Also you can keep the computed name inside a variable in your
> lbtCustomer instance to compute it  just once. To setup this renderer
> in your ListButton:
>
> ListButton listButton = new ListButton(customers);
>
> listButton.setDataRenderer(new CustomerDataRenderer());
>
> listButton.setItemRenderer(new CustomerItemRenderer());  //<-- same as
> data renderer, but extending from ListViewItemRenderer

If I use both DataRenderer and ItemRenderer I guess - a wild guess -
that the DataRenderer will compute name + " - " + address the first time
the listButton is initialized and then the ItemRenderer will return the
value to show to the user every time he scrolls the list.

> If you want get the chosen record:
>
>                 lbtCutomer selectedCustomer =
> (lbtCutomer)listButton.getSelectedItem();

Ok, so you don't see any problem associated with the instantiation of
1000 objects.

> I'll suggest override equals method in your lbtCustomer class, some
> list abilities are based on it.

Ok.

> Hope this helps,

Absolutely, thanks again.

Stefano

--
Dr. Stefano Sancese

WatchGuard Certified System Professional - http://www.watchguard.com
Socio Clusit - Associazione Italiana per la Sicurezza Informatica

In God we trust, all others we monitor (National Security Agency)