pivot-user mailing list archives

From Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RFC] Swing interop features
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:09:41 GMT
 Greg Brown wrote:
>> Visual consistency is a double edged sword. If things are obviously different, people
live with it, but once you start
>> down the road towards consistency, users will get pickier and pickier.
> My idea was to back the L&F with the actual Terra skins, so in theory they should
look exactly the same.

Sounds like a good idea. But quite a lot of work. The Swing skin class code is pretty messy
inside.
>> I would rather we simply focussed on improving the Pivot L&F - for example, the
default fonts are completely wrong on my
>> desktop.
> Can you elaborate? The default font is Verdana, which (IMO) looks pretty good across
all platforms. What font would you prefer to use?

> What other suggestions do you have for improving Terra? The feedback I have gotten recently
is that the current L&F is actually pretty good.

The font size is wrong. We run a lot of large screens at high resolution resolution here,
so it's not uncommon for the
font size to be non-default.

Pivot in general looks pretty good by itself, but because it doesn't use the default system
font, and it doesn't use it
at the correct size, it tends to be the odd one out when used in conjunction with other stuff.