pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Object dereference problem
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:36:19 GMT
> "value" sounds like "copy-by-value" to me, suggesting that a copy of the object would
be made, which is clearly wrong.

It is true that the result of dereferencing the variable is a reference, but:

a) Everything in BXML is a reference type (not to mention that Java doesn't even support true
value types), so that distinction is not really relevant.

b) A Java reference is also a value - the value is a pointer.

So I think "value" is more appropriate, because the element will be replaced by the value
referred to by the variable name. Under the hood, that value will be a reference, but again,
that's not really relevant to the caller. The caller is simply interested in getting the value
of the variable.