pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Home Page Screenshot
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:05:25 GMT
> How would you recommend I go about implementing this L&F? Would I need to create my
own Theme, perhaps using Terra as a base?

Not necessarily, though you can if you want to. If you want to use your custom skin for all
tab panes in your application, you can just replace the default TabPane/skin mapping at application
startup. If you want to use this skin for only a single tab pane instance, you can create
a custom subclass of TabPane that simply calls setSkin() in its constructor, passing an instance
of your custom skin class.

> Could you please also explain the relation between Themes and Skins. Would I be correct
in saying that, if we had to compare to Swing, Themes would equate to LookAndFeels while Skins
would equate to UIDelegates (so all the Java2D code would sit in the Skin implementations)?

Yes, that is correct.

> Lastly, is it actually possible to create decorated frames with Pivot (like you would
in Swing by setting JFrame.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated)?

Are you referring to Pivot windows (classes that subclass org.apache.pivot.wtk.Window) or
the native frame that hosts the application? The org.apache.pivot.wtk.Frame class (and subclasses)
include window trim that is consistent with the default Pivot L&F. The host frame will
always use the native trim (it is a subclass of java.awt.Frame), though in Pivot 2.0 it is
possible to specify that the host frame should be undecorated.

Greg