pivot-user mailing list archives

From Pierre Jansen <iron...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Home Page Screenshot
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 13:28:57 GMT
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Greg Brown <gkbrown@mac.com> wrote:

> How would you recommend I go about implementing this L&F? Would I need to
> create my own Theme, perhaps using Terra as a base?
>

> Not necessarily, though you can if you want to. If you want to use your
> custom skin for all tab panes in your application, you can just replace the
> default TabPane/skin mapping at application startup. If you want to use this
> skin for only a single tab pane instance, you can create a custom subclass
> of TabPane that simply calls setSkin() in its constructor, passing an
> instance of your custom skin class.
>
> Thanks, I'll  give this a try.

> Could you please also explain the relation between Themes and Skins. Would
> I be correct in saying that, if we had to compare to Swing, Themes would
> equate to LookAndFeels while Skins would equate to UIDelegates (so all the
> Java2D code would sit in the Skin implementations)?
>

> Yes, that is correct.
>
> Lastly, is it actually possible to create decorated frames with Pivot (like
> you would in Swing by setting JFrame.setDefaultLookAndFeelDecorated)?
>

> Are you referring to Pivot windows (classes that subclass
> org.apache.pivot.wtk.Window) or the native frame that hosts the application?
> The org.apache.pivot.wtk.Frame class (and subclasses) include window trim
> that is consistent with the default Pivot L&F. The host frame will always
> use the native trim (it is a subclass of java.awt.Frame), though in Pivot
> 2.0 it is possible to specify that the host frame should be undecorated.

I was referring to the frame which hosts the whole application (equivalent
of a JFrame), enabling a consistent, cross-platform trim for Desktop-based
applications (would obviously be irrelevant in an applet context).

Perhaps related to this is the Java 6u10 support for translucent and shaped
windows - do you also intend supporting this in Pivot 2.0 (I'm not sure how
wise this is considering that this seems specific to the Sun JVM)?

Regards,

Pierre