pivot-user mailing list archives

From Michael Allman <...@allman.ms>
Subject Re: messages that ascend the containment hierarchy
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:32:06 GMT
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Greg Brown wrote:

>> I think of these kinds of events as a part of the public interface of a
>> component.  Listeners respond to events they're interested in.  One
>> such event may be---to use a very verbose and impractical name---"add a
>> new address form".  Or "refresh this data model".  Or "follow this
>> link". Usually these events are dispatched by a push button, but
>> sometimes they can be dispatched from selections in a list or table, or
>> selection made with a radio button or check buttons.
>
> These are exactly the kind of events that EventBus and Pivot's pub/sub
> API are intended to support. I'd suggest taking a look at one of those -
> you may find a simpler solution to your problem.

I did.  That system supports application global events, no?  I want to use
hierarchy-scoped events.  If I send a "refresh the data model" or "follow
this link" event, I don't want notify every possible listener in the
application.  I want to notify an ancestor.  For example, I may have n
data models.  Or different components may have different interpretations
of "follow this link".

Michael