pivot-user mailing list archives

From Michael Allman <...@allman.ms>
Subject Re: messages that ascend the containment hierarchy
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:02:06 GMT
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Greg Brown wrote:

> It can't be done without changes to the platform, since "bubbling"
> requires invoking methods on the parent (or having the parent respond to
> return values from methods called on the children, which is how it is
> currently implemented).

I think this may be true, but not for reasons you're thinking of.  I store
the dispatchers and listeners in component attributes.  The tricky part is
getting a reference to other components for adding listeners.

> Only user interface events are bubbling (or tunneling, in the case of
> container events). This is by design. What is the use case for bubbling
> other types of events?

I think of these kinds of events as a part of the public interface of a
component.  Listeners respond to events they're interested in.  One such
event may be---to use a very verbose and impractical name---"add a new
address form".  Or "refresh this data model".  Or "follow this link".
Usually these events are dispatched by a push button, but sometimes they
can be dispatched from selections in a list or table, or selection made
with a radio button or check buttons.