pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: design help on a skin: how should I reference another component
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:50:21 GMT
Sure - see below:

<ScrollPane>
    <TextArea bxml:id="textArea"/>
    <rowHeader>
        <NumberRuler ruled="$textArea"/>
    </rowHeader>
</ScrollPane>

On Jun 29, 2010, at 9:26 AM, aappddeevv wrote:

> Can you show me what you are saying in bxml? Yes, these things are plopped into a scrollpane,
but I am not sure how you would declare it first since it needs to be to the left of the textarea.

not have been initialized (the same applies to local variables used in a procedural language
- you have to define them before you can refer to them).

> In practice, this generally isn't an issue because you would put the text area (view)
and ruler (column or row header) in a scroll pane and declare the view first.

> On Jun 29, 2010, at 8:29 AM, aappddeevv wrote:
>

> I attached a line numbering component and its skin. At the moment, I have to tell the
line number component which component to “number” by setting the “ruled” property.
I would like to have that automatically detected or set via a object reference in bxml.

> Right now, the way to use this is:
>
> <BoxPane orientation=”horizontal”>
> <NumbersRuler />
> <TextArea bxml:id=”text”/>
> </BoxPane>
>
> I have tried unsuccessfully to have <NumbersRuler ruled=”$text”/> but I keep
getting a bxml error about text not being a component. Should this reference have worked?

> Here’s the error:
> An error occurred while processing  atest.NumbersRuler starting at line number 61:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unable to coerce java.lang.String to class org.apache.pivot.wtk.Component.
>
> There are two other approaches to automatically have this done.
>
> a)      Be notified once BoxPane is completely loaded. Then numbers ruler could find
any text area peers and use that as the ruled component. But I have not found a reliable way
to detect when BoxPane has finished being fully loaded. I like this approach but I do not
see any way to know when the BoxPane has fully loaded.
> b)      Make the text area a child of the numbers ruler. Use containment to make it easier
to set. But then I have to manage the text area child in layout and perhaps the ruler would
want to be separated from the text area by another line ruler/decorator. So this is not a
great solution future-use wise.