pivot-user mailing list archives

From Chris Bartlett <cbartlet...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Heights & Widths
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:35:41 GMT
Are you talking about TablePanes?

I'm sure there is (or at least used to be) part of a tutorial that went into
this.  Perhaps the StockTracker tutorial before the 1.5 release?
A later poster will be able to explain this more eloquently or point you to
an existing resource, but for now...

Take a look at the applet at the bottom of this page
http://pivot.apache.org/tutorials/table-panes.html

You can interact with it using the right mouse button to add/remove/edit
rows and columns.

>From memory...
n = explicitly set the size to n
-1 = size to fit the minimum requirements of the contained component(s)

x* = size to utilise all otherwise unallocated space
By specifying multiple rows or columns with the x* notation, the otherwise
unallocated space is divided up between them using the value of x itself to
determine relative sizes.

So if you have a table with 2 columns, each of which are set to have a width
of 1*, you will end up with 2 equally sized columns taking up as much width
as is available in the table.
This will be true as long as the values for the two columns are the same,
regardless of the actual number used.
So both columns having a width of 1* would be equivalent to both having
widths of 50*

Instead, if the same table had column widths of 1* and 2* respectively, the
left hand column would be 1/3 of the size of the table, and the right hand
column would be 2/3rds.
Right hand column value is twice as large as the left hand column.

Chris