pivot-user mailing list archives

From Greg Brown <gkbr...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Help understanding classpaths/codebase with applets
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:58:25 GMT
> 1) Use one server app, to retrieve a unique file with an static and
> well-know url, put that url in all your applets and use a get method to
> retrieve an stream an setup log4j.

The question I have is - what do you do with the file after the GET? You'd have to store it
in the local file system and point Log4J to it before your app actually starts up.

> 2) Write a file servlet in all your webApps, inside the applet use the
> codebase to create a relative url to an fictitious file, this file will be
> pulled from a unique path by each one of your web apps in the server side.

The problem here is that it requires the use of the codebase, which John is trying to avoid
(there are some unfortunate side effects of the way the JDK performs service lookups when
running in an applet that doesn't disable codebase lookup - I filed a bug on it, but Sun/Oracle
never responded).